“He Held It For Three Days”

On Easter Monday, Captain Seán Heuston was ordered to occupy the Mendicity Institute on the south side of the city. The aim was to prevent British troops coming from the Royal (Collins) Barracks towards the city centre.

Once inside the Mendicity Institute he and his men immediately set about fortifying the building. Volunteer P.J. Stephenson, a member of the garrison, recalls what happened.

Glass was smashed out of the sashes, sofas and chairs piled into the windows with curtains and cushions rammed in for sandbags.

They were soon in action when they fired on a party of troops going from the Royal Barracks to Dublin Castle across from their position. Seán Heuston was only meant to hold the Mendicity for a few hours to give his Commanding Officer Edward Daly enough time to secure the area around the Four Courts. Heuston and his men would go on to hold the building for three days.

P.J. Stephenson was a member of ‘D’ Company, 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade, Irish Volunteers.


P.J. (Paddy Joe) Stephenson was interviewed for the series 'They Remember 1916' broadcast on Radio Éireann, 4 April 1956. Photograph of P. J. Stephenson courtesy of Jimmy Stephenson.

MANY THANKS TO EACH AND EVERY CONTRIBUTOR, OUR AMBASSADORS AND TOUR GUIDES

Abbey Theatre, An Garda Siochana, Association of Professional Genealogists Ireland, Band of An Garda Siochana, Buswells Hotel, Capuchin Friary, Century Ireland, Cobblestone, Conradh na Gaeilge, Dubray Books Grafton Street, Dublin Fire Brigade Pipe Band, Dublin Institute of Technology, Eason’s O’Connell Street, Gallery of Photography. Garda Historical Society, Generator Hostel, Glasnevin Trust, Grafton Barbers, Hodges Figgis Dawson Street, Irish Film Archive, Irish Veteran & Vintage Car Club. John Shevlin Millinery, Little Museum of Dublin, Louis Copeland & Sons, Manning's Bakery, Massey Funeral Directors, Maynooth University, Merrion Square Artists Association, National College of Art and Design, National Library of Ireland, National Museum at Collins Barracks, National Transport Museum of Ireland, NUI Galway, Poetry Ireland, Queen's University Belfast, Royal College of Physicians in Ireland, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association, Royal Hibernian Academy, St Michan's Church of Ireland Parish, St Michan's Roman Catholic Parish, St Vincent de Paul, SIPTU, The Four Courts, Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork, University College Dublin, University of Limerick, University of Ulster, Whyte’s Irish Art & Collectables, National Print Museum, Irish Guild of Weavers Spinners & Dyers, ICA, Feltmakers Ireland, Irish Woodturners Guild, Doran Barber Shop The Pram Doctor, The Merrion Square Artists Association, The Dice Bar, Third Space, The Family Resource Centre St. Michael’s Estate, Brown Bag Films, The Stoneybatter and Smithfield People’s History Project, The Revenue Museum, www.irishmusik.com

RTÉ would like to gratefully acknowledge the support and participation of the individual speakers who were kind enough to share their research and private collections with the public as part of the RTÉ Reflecting the Rising project. A big thanks also to the many volunteers and actors who gave their time so generously to help make RTÉ Reflecting the Rising a memorable and successful day.

RTÉ Commercial Enterprises Limited, Registered in Dublin, Registration Number:155076.
Registered Office: Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland.